Monday, August 31, 2009

Morris Dancers

I walked out of my flat (apartment) the other night for a quick pint with my flatmate Mark. We walked just around the corner to the local (you call the bar that's nearest to you "the local") and saw a few dozen people participating in what looked like Irish dancing. It was kind of like a Lord of the Dance show, but with less spring in their step, and more hitting of large sticks together.

Apparently this is a traditional English dance called Morris dancing. And it is thoroughly entertaining to watch people with bells on their knees dancing and knocking sticks together while you grab a beer. We're thinking of hiring them for our next party. On a related note - I love that England, and especially London, is oozing with culture. I run into little surprises like this everywhere - like the Queen's uniformed guard that rides on horseback past the business school each day.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Jealous. I haven't had anything like that happen yet. Nice blog (web-log) post.