Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Brunch, and the tragedy of cooks

Brunch is as much of a to-do here as it is in Atlanta. I suppose it's probably a tradition that was brought over by the British. Most of the expats meet up on Sundays for a rotation through the big hotels in the area. Sometimes I don't go because of cost - it runs $30 - $50. But it's probably worth it. We end up with all you can eat and all you can drink for about four hours. I like that it's a very social event. I wish all meals could be as much of an event as Sunday brunch!

When I came back to Bangalore my apartment was covered in a layer of dirt. It's not a clean city. And my maid/cook Vijaya didn't show up that day - or the next day, or the next. So I assumed that she flew the coop, and I made other arrangements. My doorman knew a girl working nearby and set me up with Roopa, my new cook.

On Saturday Roopa showed up for work - and so did Vijaya! Apparently she had been trying to come, and the doorman had turned her away. I pretty much believed her, but I let her go. Then Vijaya's eyes got teary, and she explained that her husband was also recently out of work. But I didn't feel like I could go back on what I'd said. Roopa is also excellent in her own right - better than Vijaya, and she speaks English.

Roopa is clearly an upgrade. But I feel like I should've shown more loyalty to Vijaya, and I feel terrible about her situation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's so true about brunch being an event meal. It would be nice if all meals could be like this. Then we would be eating all day like europeans. Hooray!