Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nandhi Hills

Two weekends ago I went to Nandhi Hills. It was billed as a day trip outside of Bangalore; just a one hour drive. It turned out to be closer to three hours each way. But I didn't mind. After being gridlocked in Bangalore traffic for five months, cruising on a nice (no potholes) road in the countryside was a welcome change.

I had hoped to find a bull temple with an enormous bull, but the Nandhi village bull is actually much smaller than the one in Mysore. The scenic views from the top of the Nandhi Hill are the real attraction. You can see off into the distance forever. Well, at least until the pollution cuts you off. The air India is poison. I assume I'm "smoking a pack a day" every day in Bangalore. Rickshaws belch fumes, poor people burn coal to stay warm and cook, and everyone burns their trash. There's a mountain range in the distance in this picture, but it's covered in smog. Anyway, I don't mean to sound too negative - the trip was great, and the view was wonderful.

The upside to pollution? Beautiful sunsets. This is actually the tail-end of the sunset from the top of the hill. There were richer red colors earlier, but I didn't break my camera out in time.

No comments: