Sunday, October 28, 2007

Eagleton

Last Christmas my parents gave me one of their old sets of clubs. I started playing every few weeks (mostly with Nic). I love the relaxing, slow pace, and the social aspect of golf. Towards the middle of the summer I upgraded to TaylorMade Rac OS2's. It looks like I'm going to need to bring them to India.


Golf doesn't seem to be popular here. And apparently it's very prestigious to be a member of the exclusive golf clubs (which are all open to the public), even if you don't play golf. So all those membership fees are maintaining beautiful, empty courses. And I get to play them.

On Friday I ran out for nine holes before work at a place called Eagleton, which is about 30 minutes outside of the city. What a great way to start the day! Things that make Eagleton different from the courses I'm used to playing in the US:

- It only costs $25 to play 18 holes
- The course was immaculately maintained - but by people, not machines. I saw a woman with a knife cutting the weeds... one at a time! There must be dozens of people working on the grass.
- I had a caddy to carry my clubs and advise me on where to shoot. The best part was the greens; he would point to where I needed to putt, and he was always right.
- There are virtually no hazards. Only one hole had water. So there was very little stress about where you were aiming. I figure I shot just above par, which is awesome for me.
Pictures: My buddy Jamie, the course, me under a buddha statue (on the course, oddly enough)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People were cutting the grass by hand? I hope you don't find Candler Park 'beneath you' when you come back... remember your roots!! -AC

Josh said...

Haha no worries. I will always have a special place in my heart for Candler Park. It's where I cut my teeth on golf. Besides, it's hard to match the "ultimate challenge" of putting through weeds.