Friday, December 14, 2007

Let there be pigeons


I was talking to someone last night, and thought I found someone in a similar situation. She has pigeons nesting and growing up at her apartment - but that's where the similarity ends. Her pigeons are nesting on the balcony, whereas mine are nesting on the cupboard in the dining room.


I came back from my Goa trip and here they were - a family of pigeons, already nested, and with eggs laid. The mom pigeon sat dutify on the nest day and night. And somewhere in the back of my head, I have a deep respect for hard work and persistence. And I absolutely read the Seuss book "Horton Hatches the Egg" too many times as a kid. So even though logic dictates that I should evict the pigeon, I let her be.


I googled diseases and pigeons, and the only risk is around pigeon poo. So I've kept my eye out for poo. And this is when I realized a remarkable thing: my pigeons are house-trained. They only had one "accident" in the house over three weeks. Maybe they realize that we have formed a fragile, unspoken alliance. I'm probably reading too much into poop, but I'm fascinated.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is the end of the road for the pigeons. I now have two baby peeping pigeons for roommates. On top of being obnoxious, they're hideous. And I'm worried that the kids won't respect the no-poo pact. But I have a nice place picked out on my porch for the nest, and hopefully it won't be too stressful of a transition for mom.

No comments: