Saturday, July 5, 2008

Palais de Tokyo

The Palais de Tokyo is one of Paris's lesser known modern art museums. I was actually trying to go to the Musee National d'Art Moderne, but I just missed the closing time, so I went next door and found this museum. The place was all about large installations and modern, conceptual art. It reminded me very much of my favorite museum in Atlanta, Eyedrum.

The first picture should give you an idea of what this museum is about. They mounted about 100 Darth Vader heads on poles and fitted them all with computer processors. Then they set all the processors to generating synthesized music - the listing described it as the ultimate "dark symphony." The music was actually pretty good, and I really liked the concept.

The art gets even more crazy. This is a landfill - literally - that was transported inside the museum. You can put on a some gear for sanitation and then climb into the pipe and around the landfill, eventually emerging out of the red door. What was the message here? I don't really know; I didn't go inside.
This one was just playful, and it put a smile on my face. It's a life-size statue of an elephant standing on its trunk, and it has its own room.

No comments: